Saturday, May 21, 2016

China Doll Top

I have always admired Mandarin-collared dresses, so when I spotted the (free!) China Doll top pattern by Doris Chan, I knew I had to make one. Doris's stitch work is incredibly lovely, and I'm honestly surprised it took me this long to try one of her patterns.

As my first crochet garment, it was a little tedious to complete, though Doris's pattern was very well-written and helpful in figuring out tailored fit and detail. I used a G-hook and 6.5 skeins of Schachenmayr Catania (sport-weight cotton) in mint. (I'd consider choosing a lighter yarn for better drape.) For the closures, I opted for half-inch pearl buttons to create some contrast. Unfortunately, there's an issue with gaping along the neckline between the closures... I plan to sew on a couple of snaps to fix it.

What's nice about the construction is that it's worked top-down, so you can easily check the fit as you go. I highly recommend using stitch markers to keep track of where you are (stitches are tracked with green yarn below):

No comments :

Post a Comment