Friday, December 1, 2017

Ascot Keyhole Scarf & Polar Bear Sweatshirt 🎀❄


Happy December 1st! I've been taking blogging much easier this past year because I'm extra focused on school. It's taken a lot of effort to stay on top of things. However, I'm very excited about this month! The holiday lights and music make me feel so warm and happy—I can't get enough of them. They help me stay positive, and I'm trying to maintain this energy as I power through the last two weeks of this semester. That being said, I want to share a couple of projects before I dive back into studying.


I've always admired this kind of scarf. The ascot keyhole style looks cute and a bit vintage. To me, it's perfect in red and works as a nice pop of color against a dark coat in the fall and winter. (It looks a little nautical against my blue-white striped shirt, so perhaps it can also be used for a costume?)

Mine is based on a free pattern from Martha Stewart's website linked here with a few changes. The pattern called for sport-weight yarn and 3.5 mm needles, but I used Knit Picks Gloss DK and 3.25 mm needles instead. To get the same dimensions as the original design, I increased to 30 stitches in width. I also switched to 2.75 mm DPN needles for the ribbing to make the ends a little more defined and dramatic. One thing I noticed is that the pattern doesn't say what stitch to use to decrease, but ssk looks good in my opinion!


Here's a shot of the scarf undone.


The second project that I want to show you is my polar bear sweatshirt. It was originally a plain, inexpensive one from Old Navy that I loved and wore so much. One day, I decided to cross-stitch a heart on it and messed up badly. My handiwork just looked terrible. Undoing the stitches left a bunch of little holes all over the shirt, but I didn't want to give it up because it's so darn comfy. Looking at my big stash of white yarn, I decided to crochet a polar bear motif to cover up my mistake.


And here's the sweatshirt on me. Yeah, it's a little juvenile (would definitely be cute on a kid's sweater), but eh... wearing it makes me happy. It was a super easy project—I'll write up instructions in case anyone else may be interested!


What I used:
Pattern: Knitted Neck Scarf by Martha Stewart Design Team
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss DK (70% Merino wool, 30% Silk; 123 yards/50 grams per skein) in Cranberry (approximately 1.25 skeins)
Needles: US 3 (3.25 mm) straight needles, US 2 (2.75 mm) DPNs

No comments :

Post a Comment