Sunday, October 14, 2018

What to Do with Itchy Wool Yarn (Hint: Make Potholders!)

A few years ago, I bought a couple of wool skeins from Michael's not realizing that I was sensitive to wool, so I crocheted a cowl... and of course it made me itch like crazy. I couldn't bring myself to give up the yarn though and ended up hoarding it in my stash.
Fast forward to last week—I needed some potholders and decided to make my own but didn't want to use anything super expensive. It was also a chance to do some stashbusting and use up yarn that I can't wear against my skin.


Pre-felting

I made two potholders using this washcloth pattern, and I feel like I can't say enough good things about the design! Even though it's simple, the pattern creates a beautiful result, especially with variegated yarn. I felted my potholders to make them sturdier, and that took away the scratchiness as well. The only downside, in my opinion, is that the colors have become a little less vibrant after felting. I forgot to measure the potholders pre-felting, but each has felted down to about 7.5" across.
Post-felting

This project was a win in my book. I highly recommend this pattern and hope to use it again soon!

What I used:
Pattern: The Almost Lost Washcloth by Julie Tarsha
Yarn:  Loops & Threads Kaleidoscope (100% Wool; 54 yards/50 grams per skein) in Carnival
Needles: US 10 (6.0 mm)

No comments :

Post a Comment